What is Liposuction?
Liposuction Surgery is really popular now in UK , as a choice to remove excess fat from body to get leaner and firmer physique. Our body accumulates fat as a natural phenomenon. Fat is in fact an important component of our body construction. But excess of fat in body can cause long term health problems and life threats. And therefore, if you have accumulated fat then there are possible solutions such as liposuction to treat the cause. Read more information below:
What Is The Procedure?
Liposuction is done on certain body areas. We have listed them below.
- Hips and buttocks
- Upper arm areas
- On back
- Inner knee
- Chest region
- To remove fat from facial areas such as – cheek, chin and neck
- Calves and ankles
Both men and women can find solutions in liposuction to remove accumulated fat to improve body contour. Liposuction can be done as standalone treatment or with other cosmetic surgeries.
The suction machine is inserted in the area selected for the treatment through incision and then the hollow tube sucks the fat out of the body. The hollow pipe is called cannula which is attached to a powerful vacuum that sucks the fat out of body.
Who Can Benefit / Be Appropriate For
Liposuction can be performed successfully on both men and women. When the number of women patients is higher men too can take advantage of it. Liposuction can offer permanent remedy for Gynecomastia, which is a condition of excess fat cells in male breasts. It can also be performed with bariatric surgery to remove excess fat cells from patient’s body. These two procedures however aren’t similar.
You are an ideal candidate for liposuction procedure if you have the following conditions.
- Slightly above-average body weight
- Have an overall good health condition
- Have fat concentration on certain body areas
- Have firm and elastic skin
Areas Where Liposuction is Effective?
Liposuction is done on special areas of your body, especially, where fat pockets are created. These areas are identified and marked for treatment. It is performed on small areas of body and therefore is no remedy for obesity. The purpose of the surgery is to improve one’s looks and it doesn’t provide overall health benefit. Though fat cells are removed permanently through the process but the patient can gather fat again if he/she doesn’t follow a healthy lifestyle. The most common body areas treated in liposuction are:
- Thighs – inner and outer
- Buttocks and hip
- Chin area
- Inner keens
- Love handles
- Upper arms
- Chest or breasts
To decide whether you are the right candidate for liposuction, consult your general physician. There are specialist clinics where these treatments are done. To begin with find one of repute with a proven track record. There are few things you must know before committing to surgery. Health conditions such as –heart condition, diabetes etc. can complicate your condition. It is therefore important that you go for screening to check your viability. You’d be suggested the following steps before the surgery.
- The doctor may ask for certain lab tests
- Decision needs to be taken regarding current medication
- You’d need to quit smoking
- Avoid medicines like aspirin, anti-inflammatory drugs, and herbal supplements
Nowadays these procedures are done using modern techniques and equipment, which ensure minimum blood loss and pain to patient. As a result, patients experience faster recovery process and return to their normal life within a week’s time. Since these surgeries are performed in nursing home set-up it may require you to stay for a day.
Patients undergoing the surgery often have complains about soreness, swelling, pain etc. It also causes scarring.
After the surgery, patients are required to wear special wraps to speed up the recovery process. You would need to consult your doctor regarding after care procedures and precautions. In areas where the incisions are made, may leak fluid for days, when it is common, but you are still requested to consult doctor.
There would also be restriction on your movement and lifting heavy weight. Normally long term follow-ups are recommended to check the progress of your recovery.
It may take some weeks before patients can return to their daily life style and work. Depending upon your condition and amount of fat removed you may be required to wear special tight clothing for some weeks to keep the skin of the place in shape. The pain and swelling would ease with time. But if those continue then you’d need to consult your surgeon.
Before and After:
Risk & Complications
Although the procedure is regarded relatively safe it is important that you make an informed decision and inquire about the risks associated with it. Following is a list of conditions that can result from liposuction surgery.
- Contour irregularities: Skin of the area from where fat was removed may appear bumpy or irregular. This can result from poor skin elasticity.
- Fluid accumulation: Fluid may gather in areas where fat cells were removed. It needs to be removed through syringe.
- Pain and swelling: As the effect of anesthesia wears off the patient may complain about pain, soreness and swelling. These may also mean infection. If it happens then one must consult doctor immediately.
Some other conditions are:
- Internal puncture
- Fat embolism
- Kidney and heart conditions
- Permanent spotting of skin
Liposuction is done to improve one’s body contour. The effect is often permanent if the patient observes a healthy lifestyle. Some of the other reasons for performing liposuction surgery are:
- To treat benign fatty tumors (lipomas).
- To reduce size of male breasts (gynecomastia or pseudogynecomastia).
- To treat issues with fat metabolism (lipodystrophy).
- To cure the problem of excess sweating in arm pits (axillary hyperhidrosis)
Payment & finance – affordable finance available
Cost of the procedure is an important factor to consider during the therapy. The cost of surgery may vary depending on the institution you have chosen. There are now some agencies that offer easy financing solutions to patients undergoing treatment.
- Consultant Plastic, Reconstructive & Hand Surgeon GMC No: 4391825 MBBS, FRCSI, FRCS (Plast), Dip in Hand Surgery (FESSH – Europe) Dip in Managment, BTEC Lasers Mr Singh is a Consultant Plastic, Reconstructive and ...
- Consultant Plastic & Reconstructive Surgeon GMC No: 4686602 Mr Fallahdar is a Harley Street based, highly qualified Board Certified Consultant Plastic & Reconstructive Surgeon with over 15 years’ world-wide experience. He graduated, ...
- Consultant Plastic & Reconstructive Surgeon GMC No: 5150140 MBBS, BSc , FRCS (Ireland), FRCS (Edinburgh), FRCS(Plastic Surgery), Diploma in Hand Surgery (FESSH), Diploma in Management (Ireland) Mr Mashhadi was graduated in 1987 and ...
- Modern urban life has changed the lifestyle of many people around the globe. A majority of them are constantly running from one place to another in their fight for survival. ...
- With Vaser 4D liposuction, you can be on the right path to creating a more youthful and natural look. Before you make a decision of having this type of liposuction, ...
- Man boobs or gynecomastia – the medical term – can be a very troubling issue for every man. Gynecomastia is when the chest area is visibly enlarged, causing it to ...
- Congratulations! You had the courage and went through with the surgery and became something you have always wanted, a stable and happy person. The obstacle that was standing between you ...
- Am I a good candidate for liposuction? That is a very important question you should ask yourself. To be a good candidate for liposuction, you must have realistic expectations, you ...
- More and more people today are subjecting themselves to liposuction, the majority of which choose it because of the confidence boost they feel they need, while some people decide to ...
- The fast paced life of the modern world has created numerous problems for many women around the world. Since everyone is a bit pressed for time, people pick up bad ...